The Outsider is a new ground breaking annual event for Scotland, combining contemporary cutting edge entertainment and music with a huge choice of participatory outdoor activities, all with an eye to environmental issues.
Outsiders will enjoy the absolute best weekend: with a choice of optional outdoor actvities and full on adventures in a beautiful landscape. At night the festival will offer headline artists and a unique and diverse range or entertainment and culture.
The Outsider is inclusive and aspirational, complimenting the huge number of outdoor activities found in the area and involving local operators where possible.
The Outsider will be launched in mid January 2007, running from Friday eveing the Sunday evening. The arena will be very easy to get to, situated 3 miles from the A9 and Aviemore with access by rail only 2 hours from Edinburgh and the central belt.
On-site facilities and entertainment
- National headlining bands
- Top comedy and caberet
- Traditional music and ceilidh
- Late night film program
- Top national and Scottish DJs
- Talks & debates on environmental issues
- Highly selective food village
- Retail village of organic / outdoor / environmental / activity products
- Full children's program
- Campsite with quality showers and toilets
- Full off-site mountain bike programme (20k/40k/60k) setto become a major event in the MTB calendar, with and courses for top athletes and beginners
- Other cycling events, workshops etc
- A new landmark running event (open to everyone) The UK's most beautiful 10k run
- Ranger-led walks
- Wildlife watching
- Nighttime biking, owl watching and stargazing (with the Royal Astronomical Society)
- Mountain, woodland and loch based activities (the Cairngorms, the Rothiemurchus and Glenmore forests, Loch Morlich, Loch an Eilean and Loch Insh)
- An inspiring optional program of activities ranging from rock climbin in the mountains to wild food foraging in the forest.
The Outsider will draw on the expertise of the country's choice of outdoor activities providers and Glenmore Lodge, Scotland's national outdoor adventure centre.
The Outsider Partnerships
The Outsider will be one of the main events of the Highland 2007 programme. We will be working closely with HIE Inverness & East Highland, The Highland Council, Aviemore & Cairngorm Destination Marketing Organisation, The Cairngorm National Park Authority, Forestry Commission Scotland, Scottish National Heritage, Cairngorm, Rothiemurchus & Glenmore Group & Glenmore Lodge (Scotland's National Outdoor Training Centre, close to the site of Outsider). Many of the above have committed funds to the project.
The Event Organiser
The Outsider is created and produced by Unique Events, Scotland's leading edge events company, who produce the world famous Edinburgh's Hogmanay and whose track record includes most of the major outdoor events in Scotland over the past 10 years.
Unique Events are the official main event organisers for Highland 2007 and are also producing the opening event on friday 12 January - 'a monster' international street party and the InvernessFest, a new arts Festival at the end of July.